Dear kindness people,
Most of us know a lot of trivia, dates and facts about war and conflict, but do we know the same about peace? Did you now that today is The International Day of Peace? Let me introduce you to some information about PEACE and International Day of Peace.
PEACE is recognized as both an innate state of Being, and a dynamic evolutionary process wherein constructive growth can occur and the children of this and future generations may gain hope for a better world to inherit. If you will try to look for some synonyms for this word, you will find lots of them: noun harmony, agreement; accord , friendship , love , reconciliation , truce , unity, amity, armistice, cessation , conciliation, concord, neutrality , order , pacification , pacifism , treaty, unanimity, union. As much as synonyms, you can find lots of quotes about peace said by celebrities or written in books. Let me get you inspired by some of them:
1. “Make peace with silence, and remind yourself that it is in this space that you'll come to remember your spirit. When you're able to transcend an aversion to silence, you'll also transcend many other miseries. And it is in this silence that the remembrance of God will be activated.”
― Wayne W. Dyer
2. “The person who hurt you--who raped you or killed your family--is also here. If you are still angry at that person, if you haven't been able to forgive, you are chained to him. Everyone could feel the emotional truth of that: When someone offends you and you haven't let go, every time you see him, you grow breathless or your heart skips a beat. If the trauma was really severe, you dream of revenge. Above you, is the Mountain of Peace and Prosperity where we all want to go. But when you try to climb that hill, the person you haven't forgiven weighs you down. It's a personal choice whether or not to let go. No one can tell you how long to mourn a death or rage over a rape. But you can't move forward until you break that chain.”
― Leymah Gbowee, Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War
3. “What if guns shot clouds, rather than bullets? Then they’d not only be peaceful, but they’d be delayed water guns. Is there a Nobel Farm Prize?”
― Jarod Kintz, How to put out forest fires with your naked body
4. “Never give a person a piece of your mind when all you really wanted to do was give them a piece of your heart.”
― Shannon L. Alder
5. “It seems like the rebellions never stop, in the city, in the compound, anywhere. There are just breaths between them, and foolishly, we call those breaths “peace".”― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
Now, if you already know enough about this tiny/immense word, let’s read some facts about The International Day of Peace:
1. International Day of Peace seeks to promote peace among nations and peoples.
2. It was established by the United Nations in 1981.
3. Jeremy Gilley founded Peace One Day, a non-profit organisation in 2001.
4. Peace One Day’s efforts were rewarded when the member states of the United Nations unanimously adopted the first ever annual day of global ceasefire and non-violence on 21 September – Peace Day. The United Nations and associated agencies and staff have received the Nobel Peace Prize 10 times in the last 60 years.
5. In 2002, the United Nations declared it a permanent holiday.
6. The theme of the 2015 International Day of Peace is "Partnerships for Peace - Dignity for All".
If now you are motivated by this day, there are Top Events and Things to Do on International Day of Peace:
• Plant a peace tree.
• Light a candle at dusk in support of world peace.
• Practice peaceful resolution and problem solving skills in your daily interpersonal interactions.
• Attend a peace rally.
And finally, don’t forget: